Finally a nice weekend to get some work done. The outside air temp was nearly 50 degrees and due to my stellar insulation job the inside temp was colder. This weekend I worked to get the place ready for rough plumbing and electrical.
I’ll add some pics to this post….my phone battery died….check back later!
I purchased an EZ Tankless hot water heater which is a MA approved direct vent model that runs on LPG. It’s a sealed unit that does not use combustion air from the house. Instead, it uses a unique pipe within a pipe system where fresh air comes in from the outside pipe and exhaust leaves the center pipe. This preheats the air and cools the exhaust.
I started by installing 4 inches of foam left over from the outside in the water heater bay. On top of that a 2×3 fits nicely to hold the insulation in place and provide a mount for the heater.
I used a 4.25 inch hole saw to make a hole for the pipe. Even though the instructions say no special clearances are needed for the pipe, I lined the hole with a sheet metal thimble and put some metal plates on either side of the wall. The seams of the pipe get sealed with HVAC metal tape. A couple of deck screws attach the unit (which is not that heavy) to the wall
A mistake I made was not cutting the holes around my drains big enough. I ended up using the 4 inch hole saw to open up the shower and toilet holes. A tip for using a hole saw on an existing hole: Use the saw to cut a hole scrap plywood. Attach the plywood scrap to the deck with screws and use it to guide the saw. Rather than guiding the blade from the center drill, you guide it from the outside.
I bought a Kohler shower kit from the Depot and installed the temperature control in the shower unit. Since the shower unit is so small, I decided to place it off-center which hopefully will make it less likely to poke you when showering.
The shower head I mounted in the ceiling a little towards the wall rather than the middle. You dont want water spraying on the opening too much.
I bought a laundry box to make life easier. Its plastic and pretty flimsy (like everything these days) but I think it will work. I used some fender washers and deck screws to attach it to the framing members rather than the included bracket which were shit.
With all the big stuff out-of-the-way, I marked up the floor and installed scrap plywood in the places where piping would be coming and going. I don’t want the plumber making it up as he goes.
I began framing the kitchen cabinets as a bonus task this weekend and discovered that my building is not as square and flat as I thought. It seems that the slab is 1/2 inch higher in the middle than the sides. This translates into my kitchen cabinets touching the floor on one end and being 1/2 inch up on the other.
I also discovered that the floor above is a bit out of level. I spent a bit of time getting a reference lines that I could work off of. This kind of thing is fairly common, you just need to plan ahead so no one notices when the project is finished.
After a bit of wrangling I got the upper cabinets framed and a the two ends of the lower cabinet assembled. I ran out of lumber and will try to finish up after work this week.