Lots of activity this weekend. The plumbing rough-in is 100% complete and the electrical is moving along nicely. Today I will report on the plumbing and my next post will show the electrical work.
Friday I spent the day watching over the plumbers. I’m glad I spent a bunch of time prepping for the plumbers or it would have turned out much worse. I ended up losing my built-in medicine cabinet, part of a closet, and one cabinet has a pipe going thru it.
The closet I expected to lose a bit of space to pipes so I’m not that upset about it. The Medicine chest was lost because the plumbing code says that there needs to be a “future vent”….I guess the future of that vent will be spent where my medicine cabinet would be.
The pipe thru the other kitchen cabinet didn’t need to be there and will be “relocated”. I had not counted on needing to vent the laundry box but it needs to be vented or the sink will suck all the water out of the laundry trap and the house will stink. I’m just going to move it under the cabinet…no big deal…looks like there is room to squeeze it in there.
I did manage to screw up the hole in the roof which needed to be a 3 inch pipe and I only cut the hole for a 2 inch pipe. Worse still, I installed a 2 inch boot which needed to be cut out and replaced. The replacement boot is mostly held on with Lexel and a couple nails. Not the installation I wanted but I doubt it will leak
There were three things that needed to be done to inspect the plumbing:
1) The stack gets plugged at the bottom with an air bladder device and filled with water. I have no water in the house yet so I had to lug a 30 gallon drum filled with pond water to accomplish this task.
2) The water pipes are tied together and pressurized to 120PSI.
3) The gas pipe is plugged on the end and pressurized to 3PSI.
If no joints leak from the stack pipes and the pressures stay constant in the other pipes, then they pass. The inspector also looks at the pipes and locations to make sure everything that’s required has been installed. There are some critical heights that need to be adhered to or bad things can happen if a drain plugs up.
The inspector came by this morning and signed off without finding any issues. I took the time to get advice on the placement of the propane tank and a few other things. I probably won’t see him again until the final inspection.
Hose to pump water into the stack
Ajax supervising the water pump as the stack fills
Shower controls plumbed with PEX piping
Here you can see the vent pipe that was run thru the cabinet space. I’m going to run it thru where the medicine chest would have been.