This weekend was one of those times when it feels like you worked really hard and have very little to show for it. The weather was hot and humid with very little wind. It was a perfect time to test out my insulation and AC.
I ran the AC unit on and off all day Saturday and Sunday. It turns out that the table saw and AC unit do not play well on the same generator. I have been using the battery box as a saw stand so its easy enough to use the disconnect switch to switch off the house while I run the table saw.
The AC unit was probably running half the time and it kept the place very cool. Even with the AC unit off the cold persisted for several hours. My hope was that in the heat of the summer I could run the AC unit for a few hours each night and have the place stay cool all night. Based on my very unscientific test, I think this idea is going to work out well.
The building inspector wanted to see my insulation work before I cover it over….its a required inspection. He’s looking for the correct R value in the walls, correct installation (no gaps etc). He’s also looking to see that each wall cavity has fire blocking where wires run thru it. Unfortunately, my inspector was tied up all weekend with other duties and could not come by for an inspection. I was only able to work on drywall that would not block the insulation. Turns out this was not the problem I thought it would be.
In order to work in the cathedral part of the house, I rented two sets of staging and levelers. The levelers give you an additional 18 inches of height so that your staging sits 8ft off the floor. This height is perfect for attaching sheetrock to the high ceilings.
I needed to take some special insulation precautions around the chimney to maintain a 2 inch clearance. Using some fencing material I made a 12 inch diameter tube (insulation shield) that could be fastened in place around the chimney. At this point it was also important to make sure the chimney was vertical. Since it was a little off, I spent some time tweaking things with wooden blocks to get the chimney positioned correctly.
With the chimney and insulation shield in place, additional insulation was stuffed into the areas around the chimney.
Each window has a 5 1/2 inch “lip” around it that needs to be covered in drywall. The guy that installed the windows (me) did not put them all in exactly the same place. That required me to cut different thickness shims for each side of every window. Thats 54 different sized shims. Makes me wish I had taken more time installing the windows!
By late Sunday afternoon all the windows and doors openings had custom fitted drywall. I also injected foam into the seams for some additional insulation. The next step was drywall in the bathroom. With the bathroom wall being a funky combination of kitchen cabinet, plumbing, and medicine cabinet there was a lot of detail framing that needed to be done.
In the end, the kitchen/bath wall has been configured for a medicine cabinet and small shelf over the toilet on the bathroom side. On the kitchen side there are two large cabinets on either side of the sink and possibly a shelf or two between them.