Another pretty decent weekend for bodega building. There was a bit of rain saturday morning but nothing too bad. I managed to finish all but one piece of siding, build screens for the porch, and fill the dumpster.
With rain in the forecast, I got a jump on the siding by working late (with lights) Friday night. I managed to get about half the siding above the deck installed. I thought the siding around the octagon window would be tough but it was not.
The technique that worked the best was to cut each piece a bit long and lay it in place on the Solo Siders and then mark it with the speed square. I used the dewalt jigsaw to make cuts so I didn’t have to lug the big saw up to the porch roof.
With all but one piece installed, I began caulking all the siding joints per the manufacturers instructions. Frankly, this is a real pain in the ass! The best I can suggest is to be very careful squeezing caulk into the joints and then smooth it with your finger. Have plenty of rags and a place to wipe off the excess caulk.
I picked DAP Dynaflex 230 since it has a 50 year rating and is seems to dry really soft and squishy. It does shrink quite a bit, so I expect to walk around and do some touch up in some places.
To make custom screens you need screen material, aluminum channels, rubber cord, and plastic corners. You will also need a special roller tool that costs about ten bucks. Lowes sells all these things and has quite a selection of colors etc. The one question I had was on the diameter of the rubber cord. It comes in various sizes and the Lowes guy had no idea what size to use. I picked out .160 and .140 diameters. In my opinion, the .140 worked better as it put less tension on the screen.
You start by cutting the aluminum channels to 1.5 inches less than the width of your window. I used the carbide blade on my chop saw and got excellent cuts. With all the channels cut you assemble the screen by pressing in the plastic corners. Before adding screen, make sure the frame fits in your window….trim if needed.
Attaching the screen requires a bit of technique and patience. I start with enough screen to overlap by an inch or two on all sides. You then roll in the rubber cord on 2 sides. The remaining two sides is where things get tricky. pull too tight and you deform the channels, too loose and the screen flaps around. I had to play around a bit to get the right feel. After the screen is installed, trim the excess with a sharp knife. If you did it right the screen will stay flat and the sides won’t be warped.
The screens are held in place by 3/4 by 1/2 inch wood trim strips cut to size. I pre-drilled 3 holes per strip and installed trim screws in the holes. If I ever need to repair the screen it should come right out.
I rented a 15 cubic yard dumpster for 10 days at a cost of $300. I lots of foam insulation and roofing debris to cart away. There was no way I was going to make 4 trips to the dump to get rid of the stuff.
I used the tractor to load some of it which resulted in a lot of wasted space so I ended up in the dumpster rearranging things to allow more crap to fit. If you do this be sure and look out for nails so you don’t end up at the doctor’s office.
I want the outside 100% complete before I begin inside work. I still need to put the second coat of paint on. The foam around the slab needs to be covered with something so it is not pink. I also want to seed the grass so I can remove my hay bales which were required by conservation. Next weekend I will spend my time putting on the finishing touches.
My goal is to begin indoor work by June 1. Have Insulation done by the middle of June. Prep work for interior walls complete by June 30. Install interior walls on July 4th weekend and finish up by the middle of July. The bathroom tile/shower will take the rest of July. Flooring will require at least 2 weekends in August. From there I expect 2 weekends of odds and ends. That means a September move in date give or take.