My goal for this long weekend was 1) to get my porch walls covered, 2) install my wood stove, and 3) clean up the crap that has collected over the past 2 months.
I managed to get 2.8 of my tasks completed despite the rather crappy weather. There was a constant threat of rain so I could not set tools and material outside. With all the crap I have inside it was a bit of a maze to get around.
I procured 11 bundles of 1/4 x 3 1/2 inch pine boards for the walls. I wanted to use cedar which cost about $5 per bundle more, but there was no stock anywhere. For the window trim I used 1 1/2 inch cedar strips cut from wide pieces since the local stock was pretty much crap.
In order to avoid cutting in stain next to the painted window sills I pre-stained the trim. Using an air nailer and stainless steel nails (very important) I first installed the trim everywhere.
Once the trim was installed it was pretty easy but time-consuming to install the 1/4 inch pine on the walls and ceiling. As you would expect the ceiling took a long time and the walls went pretty fast.
I took care to match the corners so I would not have to use corner trim. The only place corner trim was needed is on the sloped part of the ceiling where getting a perfect fit is more trouble than its worth.
Once installed the pine was covered in my Cabot natural cedar colored stain. I screwed up a bit and got some blotchy areas. This forced me to apply a second coat to even things out. You want to paint this stuff one row at a time lengthwise rather than across multiple row for best results. You might also look into wood conditioner which I’m told helps even things out on soft wood.
Wood Stove Pipes
The stove pipe installation was pretty easy. I had 6ft of class A chimney pipe and then another 3ft of double wall stove pipe with adapters and a damper.
The class A pipe comes in silver which looks like crap so I painted it with stove bright paint in flat black. To prepare the pipes, peel off the stickers and clean with denatured alcohol. Then apply light coats of paint until the surface looks smooth and even. This paint has *really* bad fumes so working outside is a must. I was lucky and dodged just enough rain drops on Saturday to get my pipes painted.
Once painted, the pipes get attached to one another and “hung” off the chimney stub that I installed with the roof. Be sure and use 4 screws per joint….no reason to skimp. The class A pipe has special locking rings, make sure they are tight.
Wood Stove Repairs
The used stove I bought had a cracked back plate and needed to be torn apart for repair. I ordered a replacement back plate from Woodmans Parts Plus for about $130 which brings the total cost of the stove to $330 which I don’t think is too bad.
Since this was used stove I knew it would be messy. I vacuumed all the ashes out and got to work. There are 4 bolts inside the stove that hold the top on. A 10mm socket and penetrating oil got one of them off easily. The other 3 broke off without much effort at all. I suspect they had degraded quite a bit and were weak.
After breaking the seal on the stove top with a rubber mallet (its cemented on) I had 3 bolt stumps to remove. After 15 minutes of work, two of the bolts sheared off flush and the other came out with a little persuasion. I’m going to slot the heads of the stuck bolts and try an impact gun with heat. If that does not work, i’ll just drill and tap it there’s plenty of metal there.
Replacing the back panel required me to scrape out all the stove cement with an old chisel. The replacement part fits perfectly in place. Once I get my stuck bolts out, the final assembly should be a snap.
Stove final assembly. Pipe trim on the pipes as they exit the house. Longer downrod for the ceiling fan. Prepping for the final visit by the plumber.