Memorial day weekend was rainy and cold followed by a very nice New England spring day. My progress on the Bodega was not hampered too much by weather although I did shuffle around my task list to take advantage of the weather.
My primary goal is still to get the outside 100% so I can begin inside work. I had 20 yards of screened loam delivered for my lawn. I visited the Home Depot (several times) to get supplies to fuel my task list.
Saturday was lightly raining/sprinkling so I spent some quality time on my tractor raking up rocks with the landscape rake. After a couple of hours of riding in circles with the rake making awful screeching noises as it went over rocks, I had most of the big rocks turned up. I followed up by hand with a metal rake and stacked the remaining rocks into small piles and collected them with the tractor.
The topsoil I turned up is not too bad for grass growing. I would say its a mix of sand and forest floor remnants. With a nice layer of screened loam on top I think it will morph into a very nice well-drained lawn.
By days end Sunday I realized that I was going to need another load of loam. I had it delivered Tuesday and got it all spread out just in time to take advantage of some rain. Note, the pics show only half the loam spread…i’ll post more later.
I used Scotts EZ Seed for the main part of the lawn and a Scotts sun and shade mix for the rest. I had prior experience with the EZ-Seed at my last place and it worked out very nicely but its really expensive.
My Lowes job box got a final coat of forest green paint and I made a wooden form so I could pour a cement pad. I used some plywood strips on top to very accurately line up the mounting holes.
The form was about 18″x36″x5.5″ and really needed about 5 bags of cement. I only had three, so I put a bunch of rocks in the bottom to make up the difference. If there’s anything I have in good supply its rocks!
With the cement somewhat cured I dropped the box on to the J-bolts I installed and hand tightened the nuts. I will torque them down when the cement is fully cured…don’t want to risk cracks.
I ran a 1.5″ conduit from the box to the disconnect on my house. I ordered some wire and battery terminals from eBay that I will run thru my conduit.
Slab Insulation Covering
Building code requires that the foam insulation on your slab be protected in some manner. I suspect this is to prevent people from hacking it away with the weed whacker. I bought a roll of flashing 24″x50′ and cut it down the middle with tin snips to produce strips of 12 inch wide material.
With a garden hoe, I pulled back the soil next to the insulation and cleaned it with a broom. Next, I applied some beads of liquid nails (foam board formula). The flashing was “stuck” to the insulation and dirt was used to hold it in place. It was a little awkward by myself but I managed.
I left the corners open rather than attempt to bend a long strip of material in place. I made corner trim pieces using four inch strips bent into “L” shape. These strips were attached using Lexel and held in place with dirt.
Bonus Task – Back Door Landing
With the flashing installed I realized that there was a strip of pink showing under the back door. Since it looked pretty ugly and I really needed a stair or something under the door I decided to build a small landing. I had some leftover composite decking from the porch. Combined with some 2×8 pressure treated boards and some Timberlok fasteners, I made a nice little landing. Its a little narrow, but I wanted to use decking scraps and had to settle.
I have to run a conduit for my telephone/DSL lines about 70 feet to the utility pole. The screen door which is 2 weeks old is already sticking due to the humidity rise (wood expanded and it was a tight fit to begin with). I will just plane down the high spots and it should be fine. I need to finish up my electrical wiring and have the inspector come over. Then I need the building inspector to come over again for final framing inspection. After that I will start insulating.